Process design and validation
The main objective of the WP3 is the overall design and validation at small pilot scale of the biocatalytic reactions which are central to the ROBOX project. Within this WP, for each of the biocatalytic reactions to be demonstrated, a reliable, efficient and scalable process will need to be developed. The work package builds on the robust enzymes developed in WP1 for which also efficient productions have been validated in WP2. The design of the biocatalytic reactions is a key step in preparing the demonstrations as it defines the conditions under which the developed biocatalysts can be deployed most effectively, but at the same time most efficiently.
Aiming to achieve this main objective, WP3 has several specific objectives:
- To test the enzyme stability under different immobilization conditions. Moreover, the most appropriate method for enzyme/whole cell immobilization technique will be chosen and the characterization of the obtained biocatalytic derivatives will be carried out.
- To define and optimize a suitable reaction for cofactor regeneration system.
- To select a compatible medium for each biotransformation and cofactor recycling system.
- To optimize reaction conditions (temperature pH, substrate and enzyme concentration, etc.).
- To develop downstream processes for isolation/purification of target products.
- To develop reactor design by engineering solutions. The air/O2 supply flow rate and substrate feeding.